Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Buttermilk Bread p. 33

I think this was the best white bread I've made yet from this book. It looked great, it tasted good, it rose up nice and fluffy - making it nice and light and the loaves were a nice size and the crust was crispy and shiny. I didn't use the amount of flour the recipe called for - but only a half cup less. I did not cover it in seeds because my children don't like that. And I didn't have actual buttermilk, but since most recipes say you can use soured milk in place of buttermilk, that is what I did. It turned out lovely.

See what I mean? Isn't it beautiful?

On May 31st, I made two loaves of Batter Whole-Wheat Bread from page 103. It was quick to make (no kneading and only one rising) and it tasted fine. It would have looked perfect too, if I had taken the wax paper off the tops of the loaves before the wax paper stuck to them. When I removed the waxed paper, the loaves sunk. I'll be more careful next time. The recipe says to "Slice and serve with soft cheeses, topped with a wisp of ham." I packed it in a picnic basket with some left-over ham and some cheese and the whole family went on a picnic. It was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment