Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rhubarb Sauce Meringue Pie

Tis the season for rhubarb! My husband noticed a recipe for Rhubarb Meringue Pie in a newspaper recently and suggested I try it. I was a little taken aback - I mean, I LOVE Lemon Meringue Pie, but I didn't know how I'd like Rhubarb Meringue. I didn't have the actual paper so I did a quick internet search and found several recipes. I followed the one at Cooks.com for their Rhubarb Sauce Meringue Pie.
My only critique with the recipe is that the cornstarch should have been combined with a little water and mixed into the rhubarb rather than adding it in, dry, with the sugar. I took out a couple clumps of cornstarch before pouring the final filling into the pie shell. The rest of the recipe was great. It says to bake until it is a "delicate brown". It certainly looked delicate coming out of the oven! It was a truly beautiful pie. If you like Lemon Meringue Pie and have some rhubarb, I would insist you try this pie! I used frozen rhubarb and was delighted with the results. The whole family was asking for seconds. It was delicious. I loved how the tang of the rhubarb was nicely offset by the meringue - excellent combination.
There are egg yolks in the filling, which explains why the filling is more orange than you would expect from red rhubarb. I enjoyed this pie a lot more than my previous rhubarb apple pie with molasses. I was really impressed at how nicely the filling held up with the cooled pie. I love my husband's good ideas!

Enjoy your rhubarb!


No comments:

Post a Comment