Monday, May 9, 2011

An afternoon of Baking

Now that Mother's Day is out of the way, it is time for me to focus on this coming weekend. I have one son having a birthday party on Saturday and one with his first Communion on Sunday. Thankfully, birthday boy wants a 9 x 13 chocolate cake, covered in white icing and not fondant and actual Lego pieces on it. What could be easier?

Here's how my counter looked a while ago:
On the far left, are the sugar cookies shaped like gingerbread men. I will be putting fondant police hats on them and piping black royal icing to make them wear suits. I have little white flower sprinkles that I hope might look like police badges if placed correctly. These guys will be loot in loot bags for the birthday party. Birthday boy wants Lego police car and police mini figs on the cake, so it goes with that.

Centre stage is the Chocolate Orange Drops (squares) that I've made before and the simple Brownies that I've also made before. I'm arranging them together to be treats to bring to the communion reception at the church on Sunday. I'm plating them to look like a cross:

I came up with this idea all on my own. I hope people see it as a cross and not just some hodge-podge of squares squished together!

On the right is the 9 x 13 chocolate cake for the birthday party. I interrupted icing that to blog! I made all this stuff after lunch and before supper today. What you can't see in the picture are the 8 dozen chocolate chip cookies I also made. I would have made the cheesecake for the Communion reception at our house today as well, but I was short one brick of cream cheese and some sour cream, so I'll make it fresh after the birthday party on Saturday! Wow. Sorry there are no new recipes tonight, but I must go finish icing that birthday cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment