Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mom's Whole Wheat Flax Bread

This is the bread I grew up eating.  I made two batches yesterday, because it is still what my family prefers. It turned out beautifully, as always!
Here is what goes into 5 loaves:
Proof the yeast:
     1 cup hot water
     2 tsp. sugar
     2 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
Add that to:
     6 1/2 cups hot water
     1 cup dry milk powder
     1/3 cup shortening
     1/3 cup molasses
     1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
     1/4 cup ground flax seeds
Whisk together until the shortening is melted. Whisk in:
     3 cups whole wheat flour.
Mix in with a wooden spoon:
     3 cups all purpose flour
Now mix in a bit more flour at a time until it becomes a shaggy mass that you can knead or pick up. Knead in more flour. My recipe says 9-11 cups of flour, but I just keep adding until the dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky and don't pay any attention to how many cups that actually is! I even have my 2 year old add the flour most days. It's fun for her and keeps her out of trouble elsewhere!
Cover, and rise in a warm spot for 40 minutes.
Punch down and divide into 5 greased loaf pans.
Rise for 40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, 20 minutes before baking.
Bake the loaves for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped. (These times are for my convection oven).

There you have it! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment