Friday, February 25, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

Yesterday I was looking at what was left in the freezer to bake with. I found the pumpkin I had pureed at Hallowe'en and decided it was time to use it so I made these muffins.
Of course, I added chocolate chips, as I do to so many things around here, but they are also really good with raisins or nuts or both, in place of the chocolate chips. The recipe makes 12 to 15 muffins and they remain pretty soft, even when fully baked. Best to eat these fresh or they can turn a little too soft.

Pumpkin Muffins
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Beat together:
     2 eggs
     1 cup sugar
     1/2 cup applesauce
     1/4 cup vegetable oil
     2 cups pureed pumpkin
Then add:
     1 1/2 cups flour
     1 tsp. baking soda
     1 tsp. baking powder
     1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
     1/2 tsp. salt (or less, if you prefer)
     1/2 cup chocolate chips (or raisins, nuts or combination)
Mix just until moistened and scoop into greased or lined muffin tins 3/4 full.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until the tops spring back when pressed lightly. Ensure the bottoms have browned or they will still be sticky inside.

As a side note, if you saw my post yesterday, about making better bread on a sunny day, apparently my grandmother used to say, "Don't make bread if it is raining." I guess the barometric pressure affects bread. Isn't that interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment