Thursday, February 17, 2011

Simply Apple Crisp

Since you liked yesterday's recipe, I thought I would share tonight's dessert with you. It is my version of an apple crisp recipe a friend gave me years ago. It is hard to get a picture that does this simple dessert justice, but trust me when I say it is a really yummy way to get in some apples and a little fiber, without the work of a pastry shell or the calories of an apple pie!
Simply Apple Crisp
5 cups apple slices
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Sprinkle the apple slices with the lemon juice and arrange them in an 8" x 6" baking dish. (A 6 or 8 inch pie plate would work fine too).
Combine the other 6 ingredients in a small bowl and mix until everything is combined. A few clumps is a good thing. Loosely cover the apples with the oat mixture. Do not pack the oats down or you will get a hard mass on top of the apples when it's cooked.
Bake for 14 minutes on half power in the microwave (or until the apples are soft).

When I want to bake it in the oven (next to my favorite casserole or french fries perhaps) it can be baked at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes instead. The oven baking yields a crispier topping.

We love our apple crisp with a little vanilla ice cream on top, while the crisp is still warm! Yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts:)

    ReplyDelete