Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Icing

This is the only recipe I use to fill a chocolate cake! It also came from the NESTLE cookbook from a friend. It is so chocolatey and almost like fudge. Delicious! The original recipe is called "Creamy Brownie Frosting" and is intended to make 1 cup of frosting, to cover, you guessed it, brownies!
I've increased the recipe and used it on brownies, between 2 sandwich cookies, between layers of cake or to ice cupcakes. (Of course, I also snitch bits of it plain when no-one is looking!) Here's my variations of the recipes and what I've done with it:

Creamy Brownie Frosting
3 Tbsp.          1/2 cup   3/4 cup   butter, softened
3 Tbsp.          1/2 cup   3/4 cup   Hershey's Cocoa powder
1 Tbsp.    2 1/2 Tbsp.   1/4 cup   light corn syrup or honey
1/2 tsp.       1/2 Tbsp.       2 tsp.   vanilla
1 cup               3 cups     4 cups   sifted icing sugar
1-2 Tbsp.   3-6 Tbsp. 4-8 Tbsp.  milk

In a small or medium mixer bowl, beat butter, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla until well blended. Add powdered (icing) sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency. (Helen's note: only add the milk one Tablespoon at a time so the icing doesn't become too thin.)

The black recipe covered a 9 x 13 pan of brownies nicely.
The blue recipe filled a 9" round cake with a pleasing layer.
The red recipe was enough to fill and cover an 8" two layer cake.
In the photo, I used double the blue recipe to make too much to fill my 6" and 9" layer cakes for the birthday cake I'm working on. There was a 1/2 cup left over, to my family's delight!

Enjoy frosting your everything! It doesn't get much better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment