Thursday, March 3, 2011

Nuts and raisins Quick Bread

A while ago, we found a recipe in the newspaper for a whole wheat, nut filled Quick bread. I made it a couple of times now, and tonight I felt like having it again. It has tasted different all three times! That's because the main source of nuts has changed - the first time I used boxed granola and muslix cereal mixed together, the second time, I used walnuts and pecans and tonight I used a combination of peanuts, raisins and home-made granola. I still liked the first one best, but tonight's was almost as good. I ate it for dessert. And, oddly enough, my biggest raisin-hater had two pieces! I guess he liked the nuts.
This is a very hearty loaf. One piece is so full of nuts, raisins and whole wheat flour that you'll fill up in no time! A far cry from the delicate and soft yeast rolls I told you about a month ago.
Here's the recipe from the paper:

Hearty Nut Quick Bread
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter
1 cup nut&seed trail mix
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup craisins
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  • Whisk together first 7 ingredients.
  • Cut in cold butter until it looks like coarse meal.
  • Chop the nuts and seeds to chop the larger nuts.
  • Add nuts, seeds & fruit to the mixture. Mix.
  • In a small bowl, whisk egg into buttermilk.
  • Pour wet into dry and mix until almost combined. Then tip onto a floured surface and knead it all together. Split into 2 balls.
  • Place each ball on a baking sheet. Cut large, deep "X" in each.
  • Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes. (Or longer, in my experience. Check that a toothpick comes out dry).
If you're looking for something hearty, satisfying and nutty, give this one a try. It is easy and well worth trying! Crunch, Crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment