This is a very hearty loaf. One piece is so full of nuts, raisins and whole wheat flour that you'll fill up in no time! A far cry from the delicate and soft yeast rolls I told you about a month ago.
Here's the recipe from the paper:
Hearty Nut Quick Bread
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter
1 cup nut&seed trail mix
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup craisins
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together first 7 ingredients.
- Cut in cold butter until it looks like coarse meal.
- Chop the nuts and seeds to chop the larger nuts.
- Add nuts, seeds & fruit to the mixture. Mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg into buttermilk.
- Pour wet into dry and mix until almost combined. Then tip onto a floured surface and knead it all together. Split into 2 balls.
- Place each ball on a baking sheet. Cut large, deep "X" in each.
- Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes. (Or longer, in my experience. Check that a toothpick comes out dry).
If you're looking for something hearty, satisfying and nutty, give this one a try. It is easy and well worth trying! Crunch, Crunch!