Monday, March 28, 2011

Whole-Wheat Orange Bread p. 106

This turned out to be a lovely loaf of bread. I was skeptical at first - 3 oranges worth of orange zest, a full cup of honey, all boiled down to a syrup. I had never done such a thing before.

I had to guess at what he meant by "boil...until the syrup is thick". Thick like honey? Thick like toothpaste? I Don't know! But I boiled it down a while, until it was like maple syrup and made the loaf and I love the loaf! I almost forgot the nuts at the very last step. That would have been a big disappointment, because, in my opinion, the nuts are the very best part. Or maybe the orange flavour, or maybe the crunchy crust, or maybe that it is a quick bread.

Now, the author claims it gets better with age and to eat it any time during the first week. Well, if it really does get better with age, I will have eaten it all before tomorrow night! That combination of sweet honey and orange zest, along with the nuts that almost make it into a fruitcake had me coming back for seconds and thirds. But then again, I love fruit cake! I was very excited that the loaf did not taste like 100% Whole Wheat bread. The fruit hid that fact quite well and I was very pleased.

Come back tomorrow, for tonight I am soaking some Red River Cereal to make a loaf of "Red River Pumpernickel Bread".

No comments:

Post a Comment